next time I see them or talk to them they still have yet to pull the trigger. These could be due to a number of reasons such as fear, laziness, don’t know how to get started, etc.
The simple fact is you just need to do it. You can talk about doing something all day but you will never really know how it will turn out until you actually do it.
One exercise I want you to do is write down what’s the worst that can happen and what’s the best that can happen. Surprisingly you will find out that 9 out of 10 times the good far outweighs the bad.
Let’s look at an example to demonstrate this. Say you currently have a full time job that you absolutely hate. You have a side business that has been making a little bit of money but you really haven’t had the time to put in to make it grow. You are left with a decision at this point to either stay at your current job (safe route but miserable) or take a chance, quit your job and focus on your own business.
Let’s look at the bad things first:
Worst that could happen
– Company doesn’t work out as planned and you run out of money
– You need to find another job
Best that can happen
– Your life is more fulfilling because you are working for yourself
– Your schedule is more flexible and you can make your own hours
– Your business flourishes and you start making more money
– You learn a ton about running a business
– You meet new and interesting people that are in the entrepreneur community
– You become a millionaire
– You can travel more since you don’t need to ask someone if you can take days off
– In most cases you can work as you travel
– You have more interesting things to talk about at social gatherings
– People are inspired by you for quitting your job and following your dreams
As I’m writing this post on a plane those are honestly the only 2 things I could think for the worst section. I know you might have a couple more but most likely they will revolve around these 2 points.
Let’s analyze the worst. OK so say your business didn’t go as planned and now you need more money so you need to find a different job. That sounds scary but maybe that is just what you needed. You didn’t like your original job anyways so you could look at this as actually a positive. So you go back to the drawing board and look for a job you actually like. Your resume will look better as well since now you can say you started your own business. People will admire you for actually taking a chance. Who knows, maybe you will start another business with what you learned from the original business. When your back is against the wall you will be surprised how hard you can work to achieve your goals.
The point is sometimes things are scarier then they actually seem. If you write it down and take a look at the results I’m sure you will be surprised with what you see.
Life is too short to have regrets. If you want to make a change in your life… do it! What do you have to lose? (Or say, whats the worst that could happen?)