Everything You Need To Know About Visa's In Bali

Everything You Need To Know About Visa's In Bali



Blog detail

Traveling to Bali and across Indonesia is absolutely incredible - but it’s important to be clued up on what VISA you need and what the options are if you’re planning on staying a little longer! Here’s everything you need to know about the 3 most popular VISA’s for traveling and staying in Bali. 

Kelingking beach in Nusa Penida

Do I need a VISA to travel to Bali?

Whether you need a VISA to enter Indonesia will depend on where you're coming from. Click here to check whether you will need one to enter. There are a lot of different VISA options to suit everyone, but Indonesia is very strict on VISA expiry dates and what you can and can’t do on each particular VISA so it’s important to know what’s what. 

These are the 3 main types of VISA most travelers use:

1. Visa On Arrival (VOA) or a ‘Tourist Visa’ - FREE - 30 days max

The ‘free tourist VISA’ is the most common VISA for vacationers who are visiting Indonesia on holiday for 30 days or less. This one is super easy as you don’t have to do anything before you arrive at the airport. When you land in Bali, simply go straight to passport control where your VOA and date will be stamped in your passport. 

After that you are free to enjoy your holiday in Bali for up to 30 days! Do make sure you don’t overstay though, as if you do there will be a hefty fine (around 60USD per day you overstay!). This VISA is also a single entry VISA, meaning you can’t come and go during the 30 days - once you leave Indonesia this VISA will automatically expire. 

It’s also strictly for ‘travel and tourism’ purposes only! 

Beaches in Canggu

2. Visa On Arrival (VOA) or ‘The Extendable Tourist Visa’ - $35 - 60 days max 

This is where it can get a little confusing. This is essentially the same as the VOA above BUT it gives you the option to extend for another 30 days - so a maximum of 60 days in total. You can also get your extendable VISA when you arrive at the airport in Bali. 

You will find the extendable VOA payment counter just before the main passport control queue. Go here to submit your payment then you will be directed to a second counter for passport inspection and to obtain your extendable VOA stamp. 

**BONUS - these queues are usually way shorter than the main passport control queue so you actually get through super quick! 

So next do I extend my VOA? It may be a little confusing as the stamp you will get at the airport will still say ‘expires after 30 days’. The $35 payment actually only gives you the option to extend for another 30 days - it does not mean you can automatically stay for 60 days. 

If you wish to stay longer than the initial 30 days you are required to extend your VISA through a reputable VISA agency in Bali, where an agent will take your passport and process your paperwork for your VISA extension. It actually only costs another $35 to go through this process but if you go through an agent they will usually charge you around 800,000IDR or 50USD for their services. 

If you ask me, it is well-worth paying a bit extra to use an agent - they will make the process so much easier for you and you will only be required to visit the immigration office once to sign your documents and have your picture and fingerprints taken. If you attempt to go through the whole process yourself it may be a little cheaper but will involve multiple visits to immigration plus some really long waits! So not worth it in my opinion. 

Remember to start the extension process BEFORE your initial 30 days is up as it usually takes a few days to complete. This VISA is also single entry and for travel and tourism purposes only. 

3. Social Budaya Visa or ‘Social-Culture Visa’ - around $200 - up to 6 months 

Now if you are planning on hanging out in Bali for longer than 60 days or even thinking about making it the place you call home, you could consider trying to get a ‘Social Visa’. This is quite a complicated process and requires you to have sponsorship from an Indonesian citizen, school/university or volunteer program to stay a total of 6 months. 

It actually grants you an initial 60 days with the possibility to extend 4 times - bringing the total number of days up to 180 (approx. 6 months). 

You will need to apply for this visa from OUTSIDE of Indonesia so do bear that in mind. It is also a single entry VISA and does not allow you to work. 

Again, if you are thinking of applying for this VISA, I strongly suggest using a reputable agent. They will guide you through the whole process and take care of all the paperwork! 

Get your visa to see the monkeys in Bali

Whichever VISA you decide to go for, I know you will fall in love with Bali and have the best time ever! Happy holidaying, vacationers! 


1 year ago

Jess Leak

Jess Leak

Jess is the Head Content Writer at ForeverVacation and enjoys constant travel, catching gnarly waves and chilling on the beaches of Bali. Say hi to Jess on Instagram.


Get your
Vacation on!

Vacation more, get inspired

Expertly curated emails packed full of vacation inspiration, travel tips and more!

Expertly curated Emails for travel inspiration, vacation tips and hacks and much more! Subscribe and upgrade your traveler skills with Forevervacation.