Plaza Colón, San Juan, 00916, Puerto Rico
|⏰ Opening Hours
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
|💸 Entrance Fee
Find it on google maps
What is Plaza Colón?
Plaza Colón is an iconic public square located in the heart of Old San Juan, the historic colonial section of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Named after Christopher Columbus (Cristóbal Colón in Spanish), the plaza marks the entrance to the old city and features a magnificent monument to the explorer that was inaugurated in 1893 to commemorate the 400th anniversary of his arrival in the New World. With its charming atmosphere and historical significance, Plaza Colón provides visitors a glimpse into Puerto Rico’s rich past.
History of Plaza Colón
The history of Plaza Colón is deeply rooted in the colonial era of Puerto Rico. Established in the late 19th century, the square occupies a site that has been central to the social and cultural activities of San Juan for many years. The statue of Columbus is one of the plaza's noteworthy features, standing tall as a reminder of the island's discovery and subsequent colonization. Over time, Plaza Colón has witnessed many changes and has served as a gathering spot for both locals and tourists to enjoy cultural events, celebrations, and daily life in Old San Juan.
Our Most Popular Tour:
- Bali VIP Ultimate Spa Experience & Tanah Lot Temple Visit
If you've come to Bali to experience one (or more!) of its luxury spas, this tour is for you. The Bali VIP Ultimate Spa Experience & Tanah Lot Temple Visit is a...
Why is Plaza Colón Important?
Plaza Colón holds importance for numerous reasons. Firstly, it serves as a historic landmark that commemorates the European discovery of Puerto Rico and the Caribbean. Additionally, the plaza functions as a communal space that brings together people of all ages to appreciate the arts, culture, and heritage of San Juan. It is also significant as an architectural showcase, surrounded by beautifully preserved Spanish colonial buildings. The plaza's vibrancy and continual use demonstrate the living history of Old San Juan and its ongoing relevance to Puerto Rican identity and pride.
Things to do & see at Plaza Colón
- The Columbus Statue: The central focus of the square is the towering monument to Christopher Columbus, which is a starting point for many historical tours of the city.
- Architectural Delights: The square is framed by stunning examples of Spanish colonial architecture, housing several notable buildings, including the Tapia Theater, the oldest free-standing drama stage building under U.S. flag.
- Cultural Events: Plaza Colón often hosts a variety of events, from festivals to artisan markets, allowing visitors to experience local traditions and crafts.
- Local Cuisine: The surrounding area is dotted with quaint cafes and restaurants where visitors can taste authentic Puerto Rican dishes.
- The Nightlife: As the evening sets in, the nearby streets come alive with music and dance, offering a lively nightlife scene.
Our Top Trending Thailand Tours:
Phuket Temple Trail: Exploring The Island's Most Impressive Temples
Bangkok Maeklong Railway & Floating Market Tour
Phuket Zip-line Experience (Half-Day)
Plaza Colón is a charming and historically rich attraction that epitomizes the spirit of Old San Juan. It provides a perfect starting point for visitors looking to explore the cobblestone streets and colorful buildings of the city. The plaza not only celebrates the past but also pulses with the contemporary cultural scene, making it a must-visit destination when in San Juan.