Kertha Gosa Park
Jl. Kenanga No.11, Semarapura Kelod, Kec. Klungkung, Kabupaten Klungkung, Bali 80761, Indonesia
|⏰ Opening Hours
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
|💸 Entrance Fee
Find it on google maps
What is Kerta Gosa?
Kerta Gosa is an historical landmark situated in the heart of Semarapura, the capital city of the Klungkung Regency in Bali, Indonesia. Known for its distinctive and elaborate Kamasan or Wayang-style ceiling paintings, Kerta Gosa forms part of the former royal palace complex. This open pavilion served as the highest court of justice during the Klungkung kingdom, illustrating a fascinating blend of Bali's rich cultural heritage and judicial history.
History of Kerta Gosa
The history of Kerta Gosa is deeply intertwined with the history of the Klungkung Kingdom, one of the ancient and most significant kingdoms in Bali. Constructed in the early 18th century during the reign of Dewa Agung Gusti Sideman, it has witnessed various critical events through Bali's history. The pavilion is renowned for its ceilings adorned with traditional paintings depicting the classic Hindu epics, which served as a subtle reminder of the karmic laws to the people facing judgment. After surviving the Dutch colonial era and witnessing the fall of the Klungkung Kingdom, Kerta Gosa has been meticulously restored to preserve its historical value and artistic beauty for future generations.
When planning your tours in Bali don't forget to visit Kerta Gosa.
Our Most Popular Tour:
- Bali Secret Waterfall Tour
It's easy to see why the Bali Secret Waterfall Tour is one of our best sellers. There's nothing more breathtaking than the waterfalls in Bali and our local guid...
Why is Kerta Gosa Important?
Kerta Gosa holds significant importance for several reasons. Firstly, it is an unparalleled example of Balinese architecture and artistry, especially its narrative ceiling paintings which provide insight into the traditional justice system and local customs. Secondly, Kerta Gosa is a testament to the legacy of the Klungkung kingdom, reflecting the cultural resilience and continuity of the Balinese people. Additionally, it offers a unique educational experience for visitors, allowing them to glimpse Bali's judicial past alongside its artistic traditions. Kerta Gosa stands as a cultural and historical cornerstone for the island of Bali.
Things to do & see at Kerta Gosa
When visiting Kerta Gosa, guests are treated to a variety of experiences and sights including:
- The Pavilion: The main attraction is the Kerta Gosa Pavilion itself, where visitors can admire the vibrantly painted ceiling that illustrates scenes from ancient epics such as the Mahabharata and the Ramayana, along with moral stories.
- The Bale Kembang: Adjacent to the main pavilion is the Bale Kembang, a floating pavilion with equally impressive ceiling artwork, surrounded by a moat which enhances its serene beauty.
- The Klungkung Palace: While much of the palace was destroyed during the Dutch conquest, the remaining parts including the court of justice provide a historical context to the Kerta Gosa Pavilion.
- The Museum Semarajaya: Located nearby, this museum contains artifacts and exhibits detailing the history of the Klungkung Regency.
In addition to exploring the art and architecture, visitors can enjoy the tranquil ambiance of the surrounding gardens.
Our Top Trending Bali Tours:
Uluwatu & Kecak Dance Tour (Half Day)
Bali VIP Ultimate Spa Experience & Tanah Lot Temple Visit
Best of Ubud Tour
Regardless of whether one has a deep interest in history or art, or simply wishes to explore more of Bali's heritage, Kerta Gosa offers an enriching glimpse into the island’s past. With its central location in Semarapura city, it is an easily accessible site for tourists who are exploring Bali's eastern regions.