Old Quarter, Hoàn Kiếm, Hanoi, Vietnam
|⏰ Opening Hours
|💸 Entrance Fee
Find it on google maps
What is Old Quarter?
Old Quarter is a historic district located in the heart of Hanoi, the capital city of Vietnam. It is a vibrant and bustling neighborhood known for its narrow streets, ancient architecture, and rich cultural heritage. The area is a melting pot of Vietnamese traditions and influences from its French colonial past.
History of Old Quarter
The history of Old Quarter can be traced back over a thousand years. It was originally a trading hub during the time of the Ly Dynasty in the 11th century. Each street in the district was dedicated to a specific trade, and the tradition continues to this day. The buildings and structures in Old Quarter reflect the architectural styles of the different periods of Vietnamese history.
When planning your tours in Hanoi don't forget to visit Old Quarter.
Visit Old Quarter on Our:
- Hanoi Coffee Lovers Tour
Perfect for the aficionado and casual coffee lover alike, the Hanoi Coffee Lovers Tour takes you on the ultimate tasting journey through the city - famed for it...
Why is Old Quarter Important?
Old Quarter is an important part of Hanoi's cultural and historical identity. It serves as a living museum, showcasing the city's heritage and traditional way of life. The district is also a significant economic center, with numerous shops, markets, and street vendors offering a wide array of goods and local delicacies.
Things to do & see in Old Quarter
- Explore the Streets: Take a leisurely stroll through the labyrinthine streets of Old Quarter and immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere. Each street has its own charm and specialty, offering a unique experience.
- Visit the Ancient Houses: Discover the well-preserved ancient houses that date back to the 19th century. These traditional Vietnamese homes showcase intricate wooden carvings and beautiful courtyards, providing a glimpse into the past.
- Shop at the Markets: Experience the local way of life by browsing through the bustling markets of Old Quarter. From Dong Xuan Market, the largest indoor market in Hanoi, to the night market in the weekend, there are endless opportunities to find unique souvenirs, clothing, and traditional crafts.
- Taste Local Cuisine: Indulge in the flavors of Vietnam by sampling the street food in Old Quarter. From the famous pho noodle soup to banh mi sandwiches and egg coffee, the district offers a diverse range of culinary delights.
- Visit Temples and Pagodas: Take a moment of tranquility in the midst of the bustling streets by visiting the ancient temples and pagodas scattered throughout Old Quarter. These sacred sites provide a serene escape and a glimpse into Vietnamese spiritual practices.
With its captivating history, vibrant streets, and authentic Vietnamese experience, Old Quarter is a must-visit destination for anyone exploring Hanoi.
Our Top Trending Hanoi Tours:
Trang An Ninh Binh Wonders: Mua Caves, Hoa Lu Citadel & Grottoe Boat Tour
The Real Hanoi: The Old Quarter Walking Experience
Hanoi Unveiling the Mysteries Of The Perfume Pagoda Tour
Whether you are interested in history, food, shopping, or simply immersing yourself in the local culture, Old Quarter offers a unique and unforgettable experience.